“Pain pushes until the vision pulls.”
In my work, I talk with people who are experiencing pain…pain in an unfulfilling job, in a struggle to pay the bills, in a yearning for a loving relationship, in a disconnect with their physical body, or in a foggy cloud of not knowing what to do.
I appreciate Michael’s quote because he offers that the pain you may be experiencing in life actually serves a purpose.
The purpose of pain is to push you into a greater, more expansive possibility for your life.
Sometimes pain starts off as a small feeling of discontent. A person is at their job for many years, seemingly coasting along, and one day something doesn’t feel quite right. Nothing on the outside may have changed, but inside there’s an inkling of a feeling for something more.
When left on its own without any care or attendance, the discontent grows. Sometimes it shows up as becoming sick more frequently. Other times it shows up as arguments with loved ones. And it could show up as numbing yourself with alcohol or drugs.
The pain signals that there is something within you that is wanting to express itself.
There’s a world of possibility that is inviting you to step into it. And the pain is leading you right into it.
That world of possibility is your vision.
When you start to entertain a greater vision of your life, the pain starts to ease. The pain that had been pushing you all along begins to give way to the vision that is now pulling you forward.
For your coaching assignment for this week, I invite you to ask yourself these questions:
- Where in your life are you feeling discontent? Where are you feeling pain? Without any judgment, acknowledge it and recognize that it is giving you a message.
- Now ask, what greater possibility is unfolding from this discontent? What is the pain pushing you to look at and to recognize as a more vibrant potential in your own life?
- When you feel the flicker of this emerging vision inside you, see if there is one small step that you can take to explore what that vision can look like in your life.
Taking that one step is your vision pulling towards a greater expression of you.
I’d love to hear how this post resonates with you. Are you feeling the pushing of pain, or the pulling of your vision? Please leave a comment below.
Abundant Blessings and Namaste.
- Santa Monica Promenade – Tues, Feb 7, 12-1pm
- Long Beach – Wed, Feb 8, 12:30pm-1:30pm
- Hollywood – Tues, Feb 14, 12:30-1:30pm
- Downtown Los Angeles / Fine Arts Building, Wed, Feb 15, 12-1pm
- La Brea & Santa Monica Blvd – Thurs, Feb 16, 12-1pm
Email me if you’re interested in attending.